Home » News » Alternative Compostion

Alternative Compostion

Alternative Comp 

For the Alternative Composition, it was probably the best assignment in this course to do considering  we got to choose what genre to do. I choose to do a short story because I love writing! It was so fun to do, thinking and analyzing how to continue the novel We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. I decided to end the story on a dark note because I honestly thought that’s how it was going to end but it had a bittersweet ending which was good as well.I really enjoyed writing short stories, I always liked writing short memoirs and like from personal narratives, it’s always been a favorite assignment to do in class. I think the interesting part was to explore different endings and how to sync everything in a way that everything flows nicely. I always think of a different ending when I read a story. The hardest part of writing the story is setting the tone and trying to make the environment and house detailed. I wanted the reader to feel comfortable and feel connected as well. But overall I think it turned out fine. I think Shirley Jackson is an amazing writer from the stories read from class. It has an interesting take on portraying women and mental health. It portrays women in a “crazy” light considering Constance and Merricat were seen as outsiders for trying to “poison” their family. I love when books have messages about women because I am all about women empowerment and standing up for our rights. So Ilike when books like most of Shirley’s have a message about women having each other's backs and are kind of depicted as “crazy” or in a bad light when it comes to mental health. I also liked reading this novel because it was different from other novel I have read and was more of a mystery. It had me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen.